Tuesday, May 17, 2011

April Reads

April was a bit of a slower reading month for me; shame as I have SUCH a stack of books waiting for me to read! Oh, and I just bought 2 more...help me!

1. Let the Great World Spin - Colum McCann:  I had great hopes for this book. I'm not exactly sure why but I think maybe it's because I liked the picture on the cover. There were some really good moments and ideas in this book but at times it got drawn out so that you wished it would just hurry up and get back to the good parts. It's not a book I'd probably pass along to others but I still liked aspects of it and am glad I learned a few things out of it.

2. The Ringworld - Larry Niven:  I'm not a huge fan of Sci-Fi books so I was surprised when I found myself liking this book. There were so many original ideas and concepts that I found I actually had to read every word in this book or else I'd miss something important. There were times that I needed to take a break from it because it took so much thought to follow it, but all in all I enjoyed it.

3. The Wind and the Willows - Kenneth Grahame: I KNOW! How is it I haven't read this book before now?!? But, it was in my 501 Must Read Books list so it was about time I got around to it. Plus it helped that it was on sale for $4 at Chapters ;)  I found it was an enjoyable book but must admit there didn't seem to be much of a point to it other than to follow the lives of these little critters. I think I might have enjoyed it more if I had read it when I was younger.

4. Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin:  I loved it! I was in a panic to try and read it before the TV series started but quickly became so absorbed in the book that the TV show didn't matter at all to me. I loved that the author could make you love his characters and not hate him when he killed a few off! I'm already 1/4 through the 2nd book in the series and just ordered the 3rd.

Anyone else read anything interesting this month? I'm always open to suggestions ;)

5 comments:

  1. I didn't read anything but textbooks during the month of April but I'm hoping to read a good book or two within the next few weeks. May have to check out one of your suggestions!

    Jackie @http://tofindtheline.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just got The Wind and the Willows from my step-mother, a leftover from her teaching days. It's been forever since I read it. Appropriate for a 5 year old?

    ReplyDelete
  3. GJT: I'd say it's a little old for a 5 yr old, maybe more like a 7 yr old?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read The Help?? It's an excellent book. Other than that, I'm reading Health Sleep Habits, Happy Child, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read it and really liked it! I've also read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and still suggest it to parents all the time ;)

    ReplyDelete