Thursday, January 23, 2014

Just a Few Hours

Just a few hours. Really, it's a drop in the bucket of time. Just 2 hours of your life and yet they are 2 hours you will not forget anytime soon.

I regularly try to encourage people to give up just 2 hours of their life to come and volunteer with me. In the span of a year, which holds approximately 8,760 hours, does 2 seem like that much? Nope. It's almost nothing.

Yet each and every time people give up 2 hours to join me I am elated. It's hard to describe what it means to me but I sincerely appreciate your 2 hours (or 4, or 6, or however many you end up giving). Time is precious. We all know that but sometimes I just want to remind people that I acknowledge you gave up this precious commodity to make a difference in someone's life.

In December I took a group of folks to the Ronald McDonald House Northern Alberta and I was so happy to see both returning faces as well as several new volunteers. In just 2 short hours we were able to make hundreds and hundreds of Christmas cookies for the guests at the House. And for those that had not been there before they were able to take a tour of the House and see all the amazing work they do there.

Yep. In 2 hours our volunteers made a different to dozens of people staying at the House. You helped make their temporary home a little more comforting. Even better you came and learned. What better way to see what is being done to help others, that to be there and do it yourself.

To everyone who has joined me at the Food Bank, Mustard Seed, Basically Babies, Ronald McDonald House, Kids Kottage, etc, etc, etc, I want to thank you for your time. In just those few hours you made a difference in my life, to those we helped, and hopefully to your own life as well.




1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post Jody! I know organizing these outings takes a lot of effort but it makes volunteering so much more accessible to people who are not sure how to go about donating their time. So... thank you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete