Tuesday, September 13, 2011

August Books

I've decided to switch things up a little and no I'm going to list the books I read in order from the one I liked the least to the one I liked the most (or the one I'd recommend the most).  I'm hoping I didn't forget to write any down this month. Normally I try to write them down as soon as I've read them but this month I was bad and just stacked them up. BUT then I was a dumb ass and gave 1/2 the stack away for others to read before I realized I hadn't recorded what I'd read! From memory here's what I remember from least enjoyed to most enjoyed:

5. The Vendetta - Honore de Balzac:  This one is my fault. I knew I had to read a book called Vendetta from the 501 Must Read Book list but who knew there were so many books named Vendetta?? So, apparently I read the wrong one. I read THE Vendetta instead of Vendetta. Sigh. So the one I did read was a simple tale. Not a ton of depth but was still a bit sad at the end, which one might guess with such a title.

4. The Heretic Queen - Michelle Moran: This was the 2nd book I read of hers. I enjoyed it but really it's very simple reading that's more like escapism for me. I'll admit I did buy another of her books as it's a good break every now and then. The hard part about these books is that I'm not sure how much of it is actually fact based. I figure very little so it makes it harder to enjoy.

3. The Paris Wife - Paula McLain: Really the only reason this one is higher up on the list is because I know more of it is true based on what I read in a Moveable Feast, Ernest Hemmingway's memoires. Really I think both books should be read together so you get a good understanding from both sides. They lived in quite a fantastical time; it makes you think of old Hollywood movies when you read about their lives.

2. The Dressmaker of Khair Khana - Gayle Tzemach Lemmon: I like these kinds of books because it gives me a glimpse into the lives of people who are going through things we read in the news. It makes it more tangible, something easier to understand when you see the human side to the info you read in the newspaper. These women are fulled with courage and it makes me wonder if I had one tenth of their moxy to be able to pull something like this off. It proves women do whatever it takes to look after their loved ones.

1. Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal - Conor Grennan: what I loved about this book is that you can tell it's not written by a professional author but just by someone who wants to retell his experiences to his friends. I love that he was honest to say he started this journey because he thought it would look good on a resume and sound good to girls he's trying to pick up. His honesty was refreshing as is his passion for his cause. An enjoyable read from someone trying to make a difference.  READ IT :)

1 comment:

  1. Are you on Goodreads? It's a great site! http://www.goodreads.com

    ReplyDelete