Thursday, December 16, 2010

Snow Day!

So, it's snowing outside and you don't really feel like taking your toddlers out - what will you do with them for an entire day at home?!?!

Here's a list of a few things I do with the kids, mine are aged 2-4 so all activities are based on those age groups:

1. Sticker Pictures! I always keep a huge bag of stickers around for moments when I need to get something done (like make lunch or dinner). This is something that is quick to set up (20 seconds) and even a 2 year old can do on their own. It doesn't make a mess either so no real clean up - bonus!  Just give each kid a stack of stickers, some crayons or makers and some paper and see what they come up with.

2.  Crafts, crafts and more crafts. Really, they'll do anything so what I usually do is go to this site: http://www.dltk-kids.com/ pick out a craft that is season or holiday related, and then get them started on it. There's a ton of selections on crafts to make and you can pick the ones that are age appropriate for your kids.

3.  Get them to help out around the house. If I feel like we're getting stuck for something to do I pull open a cupboard that needs to be cleaned out and get the kids to help me. I give them small tasks like tell them which pile to put each item on but place the piles a little ways away so they have to get up and run to the pile. I get organized and they get a bit of fun out of it. Truthfully they usually get bored after about 7-8 minutes but by that time I have my piles sorted and just need to put them back in order.

4. Make a fort. Seriously, it will take you 1 minute to get a blanket and strategically place it between couches or chairs and they will play in that thing forever.

5. Shaw on Demand. Yep, once again if there's something I need to get done and they're getting bored for having been inside all day I start up Shaw on Demand and put on one of their favourite shows. I sometimes tape a show and then reserve it for days like this so that it's new and exciting for them and allows me 25 minutes to get something done!


6. Get them to help you shovel! We bought 2 little shovels and we take them outside and get them to 'help' us. Though really somethings they cause a little more work for us they love the feeling that they're helping out with an adult chore and it gets them outside for a bit.

What are some things you do with your kids on snow days?

No comments:

Post a Comment